Adele’s ‘Someone Like You’ Is a Highly Requested Song at Funerals
Ready for your weird news update of the day? Adele's 'Someone Like You' landed the No. 22 spot on Co-operative Funeralcare's chart of top songs played at funerals. Let that sink in for a minute.
According to NME, the study was based on popular requests made at 30,000 services over the last 12 months. Frank Sinatra's 'My Way' topped the list, while Sarah Brightman and Andrea Bocelli's 'Time to Say Goodbye' and Bette Midler's 'Wind Beneath My Wings' came in at No. 2 and No. 3, respectively.
We understand wanting to celebrate someone's life with popular songs -- in fact, a 'My Way' send-off actually makes perfect sense. However, Adele's brokenhearted account of the end of a relationship doesn't strike us as a go-to burial tune.
The single hit No. 1 in over a dozen countries, so we get that it's popular, but as we think about the British chanteuse pouring her heart out in the lyric "Never mind I'll find someone like you," we can't help but scratch our heads at the thought of it playing at a funeral. 'Danny Boy'? Sure. 'Unforgettable' Of course. Adele? Not so much.
To each his own. Co-operative Funeralcare is the largest funeral director in the UK with over 850 funeral homes, crematoria and woodland burial ground.
The Top 20 Pop Songs Requested at Funerals in 2012:
1. Frank Sinatra, 'My Way'
2. Sarah Brightman/Andrea Bocelli, 'Time to Say Goodbye'
3. Bette Midler, 'Wind Beneath My Wings'
4. Eva Cassidy, 'Over The Rainbow'
5. Robbie Williams, 'Angels'
6. Westlife, 'You Raise Me Up'
7. Gerry & The Pacemakers, 'You’ll Never Walk Alone'
8. Vera Lynn, 'We’ll Meet Again'
9. Celine Dion, 'My Heart Will Go On'
10. Nat King Cole, 'Unforgettable'
11. Tina Turner, 'The Best'
12. Whitney Houston/Dolly Parton, 'I Will Always Love You'
13. Monty Python, 'Always Look on the Bright Side of Life'
14. Luther Vandross, 'Dance With My Father'
15. Louis Armstrong, 'Wonderful World'
16. Daniel O'Donnell, 'Danny Boy'
17. Eva Cassidy – 'Fields Of Gold'
18. Righteous Brothers (and various), 'Unchained Melody'
19. Westlife, 'Flying Without Wings'
20. Eva Cassidy, 'Songbird'
Watch the Adele 'Someone Like You' Video