Top 10 Beyonce Songs
PopCrush's list of the Top 10 Beyonce Songs was difficult to compile, since the superstar singer has recorded so many hits since leaving Destiny's Child and branching out on her own. Though Bey has issued only four solo albums to date — 'Dangerously in Love,' 'B'Day,' 'I Am…Sasha Fierce' and '4' — the R&B diva has been one of the most prolific artists of this millennium. As she prepares to take the field during halftime at Super Bowl XLVII, count along with our list of the Top 10 Beyonce Songs. And don’t forget to leave a comment with your own favorites!
Kicking off our list of the top Beyonce songs is ‘Baby Boy,’ which took R&B and hip-hop to a new place in 2003 by deftly incorporating Middle Eastern instrumentation with a hot beat. The song featured Sean Paul, who brought his own dancehall style to the song. The sexy track was a clear step forward from the music Bey had recorded with Destiny’s Child and became the biggest hit of her burgeoning solo career, spending an astounding nine weeks at No. 1.
Two years before Beyonce unveiled her Sasha Fierce persona, she showed her aggressive side loud and clear on ‘Ring the Alarm,’ the explosive second single from ‘B’Day.’ “Ring the alarm / I’ve been through this too long / But I’ll be damned if I see another chick on your arm!,” she screamed on the hard-hitting track about an unfortunate love triangle. Produced by Swizz Beatz, ‘Ring the Alarm’ topped both the R&B and dance charts.
On this double-platinum single from ‘I Am…Sasha Fierce,’ Beyonce continued to expand her sound with a vulnerable acoustic guitar-based tune in which she examined the male perspective on relationships and swore she’d be a better man than the guys who had mistreated her. The music video was a study in gender role reversal, with Beyonce portraying a typically “male” character who thoughtlessly flirts with co-workers and ignores her significant other’s calls while out with friends.
- 7Beyonce and Shakira found themselves after the same guy in ‘Beautiful Liar,’ but the potential catfight turned into an expression of girl power when the ladies agreed the loser wasn’t worth fighting over: “Can't we laugh about it / It's not worth our time / We can live without him / Just a beautiful liar.” The 2007 track from ‘B’Day’ reached No. 3, and the Spanish version (‘Bello Embustero’) even reached the Top 10 on the Latin Songs chart.
- 6In addition to starring in ‘The Pink Panther’ with Steve Martin and Kevin Kline, Beyonce recorded ‘Check on It’ for the movie and nabbed another chart-topper and the No. 6 spot on our list of the Top 10 Beyonce Songs. Even though she insisted that she didn’t want to be a tease, Ms. Knowles spent three and a half minutes doing just that, singing, “You can look at it / As long as you don’t grab it,” and “I can tell you wanna taste it / But I’mma make you chase it.”
One of the strongest ballads Bey has recorded to date, ‘Halo’ soared thanks to a combination of piano, hand claps, and strings backing up Beyonce’s voice. The singer showed off her vocal talent by reaching way down into her lower range at certain points in the song, before rising back up to belt out the chorus. The Grammy-winning song took on even more of an emotional lift when Beyonce changed the lyrics in concert to honor Michael Jackson after his untimely death.
Only our Queen B could sound sweet and loving while kicking her unappreciative man to the curb with the arrogant threat, “I could have another you in a minute / Matter of fact, he’ll be here in a minute, baby.” The double-platinum 2006 chart-topper from the ‘B’Day’ album took things “to the left, to the left” and featured one of Beyonce’s most memorable hooks yet, written by the singer herself with Ne-Yo and the Stargate production team.
- 3After playing Etta James in the ‘At Last’ biopic, Bey was inspired to challenge herself vocally on the '4' album. Never was that more evident than with ‘Love on Top,’ a brilliant mid-tempo track that incorporated elements of old-school soul and shades of ‘80s Whitney Houston before finishing with a glorious flourish of rising key changes. Beyonce sang ‘Love on Top’ at the 2011 VMAs when she famously rubbed her baby bump to confirm rumors that she was pregnant. Coolest baby announcement ever!
- 2Beyonce and now-husband Jay-Z were already ‘Crazy in Love’ when they wrote and recorded this 2003 collaboration, even though they publicly remained coy about their relationship. The track featured the lovebirds singing and rapping about being hot for each other, while a killer horn sample unearthed by producer Rich Harrison carried the chorus. ‘Crazy in Love’ was Bey’s first solo hit as a lead artist after stepping away from Destiny’s Child and showed that she would be a force for years to come.
- 1Bey has a bunch of No.1 songs to her credit, but ‘Single Ladies’ is clearly the one most worthy of heading our list of the Top 10 Beyonce Songs. Everything about ‘Single Ladies’ was perfect: The “If you liked it then you should’ve put a ring on it” hook, the unforgettable dance routine in the music video, the banging beat and the retro soul harmonies. ‘Single Ladies’ won Song of the Year at the Grammys and remains one of the coolest pop songs ever.