Jay-Z Continuing Barney’s Partnership Following Racial Profiling Scandal … But With a Catch
Jay-Z faced severe criticism for his charity partnership with high-end retailer Barney’s after the couture store was accused of racially profiling and harassing African American customers. But Hova didn’t make any rash judgments. Instead, he hit the store where it hurts the most: Their bottom line.
Jigga previously took his critics to task, writing on his Life and Times site, “If I make snap judgements, no matter who it’s towards, aren’t I committing the same sin as someone who profiles?” Good point, right?
But now that Jay looked into the matter further with both Barney’s heads as well as the New York Attorney General, he took action. MTV News reports that he’s continuing his NNY SCC collection with the shop, but with conditions: He will spearhead a “council specifically convened to deal with the issue of racial profiling.” What’s more, Hov’s charity, the Shawn Carter Foundation, will take home 100 percent of profits from the collection, in addition to an extra 10 percent of all retail sales from Barney’s and Barneys.com on November 20, the day of the fundraiser’s kickoff.
Why is this a big deal? Because initially, the Shawn Carter Foundation, which provides scholarships to underprivileged kids, was only receiving 25 percent of the profits, with Barney’s pocketing the remaining 75 percent.
“I am in a unique position to use my voice to affect change to this disturbing issue,” Jay wrote on his blog. “The easy position would have been to walk away and leave policy making to others hoping that someone addresses the problem. I will not leave the outcome to others. I will take this into my own hands with full power to recommend, review and revise policies and guidelines moving forward. I am choosing to take this head on.”
Best rapper alive — and possibly the best negotiator, too.