Earlier this week, rumors began to swirl that Jussie Smollett staged the attack he endured nearly a month ago. Now, the Empire star has officially become a suspect in the investigation.

"Jussie Smollett is now officially classified as a suspect in a criminal investigation by #ChicagoPolice for filing a false police report (Class 4 felony)," Chicago Police Departments Chief Communications Officer Anthony Guglielmi announced via Twitter on Wednesday (February 20). "Detectives are currently presenting evidence before a Cook County Grand Jury."

If found guilty, Smollett could serve up to three years in prison.

The news comes just days after suspects Ola and Abel Osundairo, who were released without charges over the weekend, told cops that the attack was not only faked, it was also rehearsed. The brothers are acquaintances of Smollett and claim he paid them $3500 to carry out the assault.

Chicago's CBS 2 also revealed new information regarding the case, with multiple sources claiming the 36-year-old got upset when a disturbing letter that was sent to the show's studio on January 22 didn't get a "bigger reaction."

“When the letter didn’t get enough attention, he concocted the staged attack,” a source told the news channel, with others corroborating.

On Sunday (February 17), Smollett's lawyers released a statement denying any involvement in the attack, but the actor has yet to comment on the investigation's most recent update.

Celebrities Involved in Career-Ending Scandals